Monday 29 August 2011

Fun And Games With The Brute Force Sandbag

I fancied a day off from regular training today so I decided to do some "fun" stuff with my Brute Force Sandbag.

Turkish Get-Ups (TGU's), Windmills and Swings. Who needs kettlebells? In fact, I worked out that you can also use your Brute Force Sandbag just like a Bulgarian Bag too (although being this awesome may well void your warranty).

I used a 35kg sandbag with the following grip:



Try 5-10 repetitions of each exercise, repeated for 2-3 sets.

Turkish Get-Up

The Turkish Get-Up is a tough, full body movement that will do great things for your core and shoulder strength. Start off lying flat on the ground with the sandbag held in one arm above your chest. Then stand up, keeping that arm straight throughout the movement. This can be achieved in a few different ways - but I recommend "rolling out" to the side (up onto your elbow) and then standing up in a lunge movement.








The Windmill

The Windmill is another great core exercise that you rarely see these days. Simply hold the sandbag overhead in one hand. Then, keeping your legs straight, reach down towards the floor.





The Swing


Plenty of people do Swings with Kettlebells but it's also possible (and much harder) with a sandbag. Grip the bag at either end and hold it between your legs. Using a powerful hip drive, start generating momentum with the bag. Be sure to keep your arms relaxed and aim to swing the bag up to at least chest height. Keep your spine in neutral throughout!





Or single handed:





And Just When You Thought It Couldn't Get Any Better!


Who needs a Bulgarian Bag?






8 comments:

  1. 35kg TGU? Nice work, Matt. I don't think I've done more than 25kg before (dumbbell). Looking forward to trying this workout next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jon, hope you have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt - just did some of these moves with a 25kg bag. Good stuff. Sometimes I do TGUs with a sandbag over my shoulder, but this is the first time I've done them overhead. After I was done, it felt like I'd been through a tough yoga workout, oddly. I'll definitely be doing more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the Yoga thing - I think it's that feeling of full range of motion and stabilisation that you get through these moves. These are all great exercises to have as a break from the more regular workouts that I post. The Windmill has done great things for my flexibility and core strength.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made a homemade Bulgie Bag with an inner tube and 42 lbs of gravel. I walk a flat mile with it everyday, and two days a week I do a killer hill and then 75 two handed swings. The rubber is kewl because you can feel it stretching do to the centrifugal force during the swings. I love it, gonna try some of your ideas. Thanks for posting.- George

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys I'm a former yogi and pilates instructor (well, i do still teach about 5 hours a week of pilates), it is funny to me to see you did windmills and feel as though you've been to yoga. What you're doing is so much harder! But as Matt said, maybe it's the flexability piece that is cropping up for you.

    Anyway, my Brute Force bag arrived today and within 16 minutes I was a sweating hot mess. It's truly an awesome tool.

    I did swings, clean/press, squats, lunge with bag on each shoulers, squat jumps, burpees with push up and more. 16 minutes of that intensity (1 minute for each exercise, no rest, 16 repeats) and i was d-o-n-e.

    will have to try the TGU's, and windmills would seem especially challenging. i've done those with kettlebells and the bag seems like it would be much harder to stabilize up top (for obviously reasons).

    what fun! i'm glad to have a blog to "talk" about this stuff with, most people think i'm crazy. lol. (i'm 36 years old, but just have a deep need to be physical. i've always been this way, it ain't changing. :)

    keep on it!
    JoAnne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you've got your Brute Force bag - you'll have hours of great training with it I'm sure. I'm 32 myself so no spring chicken! And yeah, this kind of training is just so much more exciting than the commercial gym environment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're enjoying the blog George - would love to see some photos of your homemade bulgie bag

    ReplyDelete